SI In the Spotlight
Certified System Integrator Partner
About ICS Trading
The company was founded in 1995 to meet the industrial automation and process control needs of the food and beverage, mining and manufacturing industries through the supply and support of hardware as well as software engineering. A notable aspect of ICS Trading is that its employees are also its shareholders, which promotes a great sense of pride and a strong work ethic towards the company and its valued clients.
The company offers turnkey solutions in the industrial automation and industrial IT domains ranging from site investigations and feasibility studies to the compilation of User Requirement Specifications, system design and implementation as well as project management and on-going maintenance.
ICS Trading specialises in small to medium-sized turnkey projects and they also subcontract to other project houses to complement their solutions. The company has two Wonderware-certified engineers who are well-versed in the design and implementation of Wonderware’s SCADA / HMI solutions.
A chat with Brian Swindells – Director:
We asked Brian about ICS Trading, their relationship with Wonderware and their customers as well as his views on the current state of the industries they address. This is what he had to say:
- How did you get started in the business of industrial process control and industrial IT?
I first got involved after taking a job as an electrical technician and gradually moved into the automation industry from there.
- What is the significance and importance of Wonderware certification to you?
Having Wonderware certification has given us the confidence in our design and development abilities when rolling out new projects.
- Why did you choose Wonderware as a solution supplier?
As we all know, Wonderware has the “Rolls Royce” of SCADA packages (InTouch and System Platform) with it ease in configuration and development and integration with many different PLC types.
- How will certification improve your business?
Hopefully it will add a level of trust in our abilities to complete their projects successfully, especially with new or prospective clients.
- What trends and challenges are you seeing in your industry?
We are currently seeing the need for more information from smaller manufacturing plants where in the past they were not interested in the actual plant data, alarming and history.
- How has ICS Trading grown and changed in the past year and where do you see yourself in the next year or two?
We have always tried to grow but never beyond our abilities to maintain the level of service we have always offered our clients. A developing trend is the demand for continuously increasing levels of technical skills.
In a nutshell…
- Investigations: Such as plant operation, unusual occurrences, failure ratings, reliability study, emission control, software surveys, etc.
- The compilation of the engineering packages for various instrumentation and control projects.
- Compilation of the User Requirement Specifications
- Cost-effective control system design
- Application Development conforming with ISO standards where possible or required.
- Extracting meaningful knowledge from data for operators and managers.
- Project Management – a key aspect of any project whatever its size.
- System maintenance
Solutions and support
ICS Trading provides support services for the following:
- Control instrumentation and controllers such as PLCs.
- Computers used in industrial control applications (e.g. HMIs, historians, etc.)
- Network Equipment (e.g. Profibus, Asi, Modbus as well as all types of LANs)
- Software (e.g. operating systems, Microsoft products, MSSql, Wonderware and other software solution suppliers)
- Supply of all electrical equipment used in the chemical, mining and food industry.
- Repairs: (e.g. warranty exchange or repair to certain products sold by us)
Here’s a brief list of where ICT Trading has implemented solutions and enabled customer success:
- Refurbished electrical and control system for one of the largest coffee dryers in southern hemisphere
- Upgraded and updated cement-conveying and kiln control systems
- New cereal plant for a leader in that field
- New coffee-roasting plant
- Fridge compressors for a large mining company
- Gold plant PLC and SCADA upgrade for the same mining company
- New oven for the above cereal plant
- SAP to Wonderware integration project